Being in the kitchen with your kids can be both stressful and joy-filled all at once. Starting your kids young is bound to pay off in the long run. The best kids cookbooks of 2024 not only offer easy, kid-approved recipes, but they usually come with tips for making the most out of your time in the kitchen, including keeping it organized, stress-free and fun. These cookbooks showcase the supplies you'll need and the best options for kids (like safe knives). In addition, they have pictures that are bright and colorful to help kids see what they're making (because visuals are important).When you're shopping for the best kids’ cookbooks of 2024, this list will help you narrow it down. You’ll see the best-priced books, those with pictures, the ones that are best for baking, as well as cookbooks for the health-conscious. If you have a kid that loves to be in the kitchen, why not surprise them with permission to get creative? You could always pull out your classic childhood cookbook. You likely have a copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls. Or, check out our list of the best kids’ cookbooks of 2024.
What We'll Cover
- The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs: 100+ Recipes That You’ll Love to Cook and Eat
- American Girl Baking - Recipes for Cookies, Cupcakes and More
- Pre-Kitchen Cookbooks: Interactive Cookbooks
- Cooking Class - 57 Fun Recipes Kids Will Love to Make (and Eat!)
- Better Homes & Gardens New Junior Cookbook
- The Forest Feast for Kids
- The International Cookbook for Kids
- Honorable Mention: Themed Cookbooks
- The Bottom Line
The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs: 100+ Recipes That You’ll Love to Cook and Eat
When you're looking for the best of the best, this cookbook hits all the right marks. There's also a companion baking book as well. With over 100 easy-to-follow recipes and clear photos, kids will love cooking for their parents from this book. It was a #1 New York Times best-seller for a reason. Created by America's Test Kitchen, this cookbook aims to bring the best kid-tested recipes and hands-on learning to the kitchen. They'll also get tips and techniques to feel like a pro in the kitchen, and this best kids’ cookbook of 2024 will build their confidence with every recipe. A close second? The Everything Kids' Cookbook is full of tips and recipes, but not as colorful.
- Great photos
- Kid-tested recipes
- New York Times best-seller
- We really couldn’t find any
American Girl Baking - Recipes for Cookies, Cupcakes and More
American Girl Baking Recipes for Cookies Cupcakes More
With beautiful images and more than 40 recipes, this book makes any American Girl want to be in the kitchen baking her favorite treats. The recipes are easy to follow. While it doesn't have any tie to the dolls except in name, your child's doll could pull up a chair and keep her company while she bakes. There is also an American Girl Around the World cookbook worth looking into.
- Beautiful images
- Not for absolute beginners
Pre-Kitchen Cookbooks: Interactive Cookbooks
When you've got babies that love food or watching you cook and seem to want to help earlier than you are ready, these interactive cookbooks are a great way to let them feel like they're helping. They're worth a mention because they're just so darn cute. There are four interactive recipe books: Pizza!, Cookies!, Pancakes! and Tacos!
Toddlers Love Cooking Too!
Preschoolers are at the perfect age of curiosity and willingness to be next to you in the kitchen following along. There are some great preschool-focused books that we love, including the following books. All of these are books that parents and children can do together.
- Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: The author created a book that not only teaches children about cooking, but helps them with basic learning such as counting, reading, science and self-confidence
- Ella's Kitchen: The Big Baking Book: This cookbook belongs to a set of cookbooks geared towards helping young kids start exploring in the kitchen.
- The Toddler Cookbook: Geared toward toddlers and up, this cookbook is a basic intro to cooking that lets your child have a little bit of control.
Cooking Class - 57 Fun Recipes Kids Will Love to Make (and Eat!)
Cooking Class 57 Fun Recipes Kids Will Love to Make and Eat
This cookbook is the perfect guide for beginners who have some understanding of being in the kitchen. It explains both skills and recipes in kid-friendly language so that they aren't overwhelmed with their new hobby. With more than 50 recipes, including favorites like French toast, pizza and popcorn chicken, this cookbook also uses fresh, healthy ingredients to inspire kids with creations, including egg mice and fruit flowers. Great for ages six to 12.
- Includes notes on skills
- Easy recipes
- Healthy options
- Not for absolute beginners
Better Homes & Gardens New Junior Cookbook
This cookbook goes into the basics before your child ever sees a recipe, ensuring that they learn how to be in the kitchen before they cook in it. The detailed section includes cooking terms, kitchen safety, tools, healthy cooking, how to measure ingredients and how to read recipes. The recipes are easy-to-follow and fun to make. All of this makes it one of the best kids’ cookbooks for ages six to 10.
- Details about techniques and safety
- Easy-to-follow recipes
- Great for ages six to 10
- Some readers did not like the additional details
The Forest Feast for Kids
This beautifully illustrated cookbook uses vibrant photos and watercolor painting to show how vegetarian life can look. The recipes are kid-friendly, easy-to-follow, quick-to- make and yummy-to-eat. The author also includes ideas for kids' parties and information on techniques, measurements and other helpful kitchen information. For another vegan cookbook option, check out The Help Yourself Cookbook for Kids, perfect for ages six to 12.
- Beautiful illustration
- Encourages vegetarian lifestyle
- Less traditional recipes
The International Cookbook for Kids
For an all-in-one international feast, this cookbook features 60 classic recipes from countries like China, France, Italy and Mexico. Through the food they cook, they will learn all about other countries and their traditions. There are more than 100 full-color photos and illustrations, and all recipes are in an easy-to-follow format. Chefs also give tips on technique, and there is a section on basic kitchen safety. If you love taco Tuesday, you'll love the special taco-party section.
- International recipes
- Full-color photos
- Technique tips
- Less traditional recipes
Honorable Mention: Themed Cookbooks
There are many themed cookbooks available to entice kids to try their hand at cooking. Our favorites include:
- This Cookbook is Gross: This book is a fun twist on cooking that lets kids create yummy tasting, but gross looking food.
- The Disney Princess Cookbook: If your little one loves princesses, let her be one in the kitchen with the help of the Disney princesses. There's also a baking version.
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: While it's a little harder to master, these recipes include ones from Harry Potter's world.
The Bottom Line
You've got your supplies ready. Your kid is pumped, and now you have access to the best kids’ cookbooks of 2024. Whether you're looking for the most in-depth instructions or the best pictures, these cookbooks have you covered. Enjoy cooking with your child or letting them bake up a storm, and don't forget to taste those treats!
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.